Large Motors on Farms

Home | Articles | Forum | Glossary | Books

On farms, motors of 10 hp, 25 hp and even larger are required. But many farms have only a single-phase, three-wire, 120/240-volt service. That provides only two high voltage lines to the farm and only one transformer. Single-phase motors 5 hp and larger require an unusually high number of amperes while starting, and the line and transformer often are too small to start such a motor.

Before buying even a 5-hp single-phase motor, check with your power supplier to see whether the line and the transformer serving your farm are large enough to operate such a motor. If you operate the motor only a comparatively few hours per year, your power supplier will object to installing a heavier line and transformer. In a few localities, at least some of the farms are served by a three-phase line, providing three transformers and three wires to the farm. If you are fortunate enough to have three-phase service, your problems are solved. Use three-phase motors, which are simpler in construction so they cost considerably less than single- phase motors and rarely have a service problem. Note: If you have three-phase service, you will have three-phase power at 240 volts available in addition to the usual 120/240-volt, single-phase for lighting, appliances and other small loads.

Today’s three-phase distribution practices are increasingly moving in the direction of 208Y/120-volt systems, in which the voltages between the neutral and all three ungrounded conductors are equally 120 volts. The older 240-volt systems have 120 volts to two of the ungrounded conductors from the grounded conductor, and 208 volts to the third. This makes it more difficult for the power suppliers to balance the 120-volt loads on their systems, and it creates a potential hazard if the property owner inadvertently connects a 120-volt load incorrectly at 208 volts.
Top of Page PREV: Types of Motors NEXT: Phase Converters HOME